[aprssig] ACARS aircraft decoding?

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Wed Jan 30 18:48:44 EST 2013

Hi Bob, Everyone,

On 31/01/2013, at 12:50 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> ZL2WRW reminded me of my old web page that decoded ACARS data from
> commercial aircraft on 131.55 MHz:
>
>> http://www.usna.edu/Users/aero/bruninga/acar.html
>
> I'm sure after 27 years someone has written a sound card decoder?  It
> would be kinda cute to see those aircraft on an APRS display.

There is acarsdec;
http://sourceforge.net/projects/acarsdec/

It has an "Xastir" option which opens a port and acts as an aprs internet server.

I ran it for 12 hours here a few weeks ago and while there was plenty of acars traffic, nothing was plotted on Xastir as no position reports were received.

Carl.
(vk1kcm)