[aprssig] Discouraging long paths and other bad settings

Paula g8pzt at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 16:12:16 EST 2013

I have nothing sensible to say on this subject, as I don't understand what
you're aguing about, but...

I was trawling through this thread getting rather annoyed at the perjorative
language used (e.g. "evil", "perpertrator", "offender", "witless", "abuser")
and by the assumption that "bad guys" who set "wrong" paths are of low
intelligence.

Then at last, a breath of fresh air from Brian Webster, who points out what
might be the real problem, which is a lack of *knowledge* not a lack of
intelligence.

I have been around Packet Radio from the very beginning, and I consider
myself to have average intelligence. At least good enough to write software
for most of the ax25 and TCP/IP protocols the hard way, long before "open
source" made everyone and his dog a programmer.

Of all the dozens of protocols I've implemented, APRS has been the most
frustrating. The APRS protocol spec is "fuzzy" and difficult to understand.
The goal posts keep moving, and recommended "good practice" has changed so
many times, I've lost track.

It may all be obvious to those who do nothing else but APRS all day, but to
be honest most of what you lot argue about in this forum might as well be
written in Swahili as far as I'm concerned.

I WANT to understand APRS, but as Brian points out, the documentation is
weak, and the truth is hard to find amongst the dross. Where is the simple,
authoritative documentation? If it doesn't exist, because "this is amateur,
not professional radio", then you can't be surprised that there are people
like myself who are lost.

I wouldn't dare transmit an APRS packet these days, in case someone bit my
head off for being a clueless idiot!

73, Paula