[aprssig] Why is my AvMap G6 flaky?

Dave B dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 09:23:02 EST 2013

As he asked, was the vehicle fully shutdown?

Some car stereo RX's can leak the 15th (I think) harmonic of the LO, and
that can jam GPS reception when the FM RX is tuned to some particular
frequencies.   One of the well known EMC "Banana Skins" of a few years
back.

The vehicle beeing Off question, relates to noise on the internal
electrics, even your auxilary battery system if it is still physically
connected to one side, might still have enough broadband noise on the 12V
to freak out the AvMap somehow.  (Though I'd have thought unless it's
faulty, the AvMap should be fairly well immune to that sort of thing.)

If you have a portable osciloscope, that runs from its own internal
batteries, it might be worth sniffing/poking about the 12V system with an
AC coupled probe, just to see.   You'd need instantanious analogue scope
bandwith to a couple of MHz, no more I suspect.

73.

Dave G0WBX.