[aprssig] Why is my AvMap G6 flaky?

Dave B dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 09:46:08 EST 2013

On 1 Jan 2013 at 7:56, lawrence labranche wrote:

> Hybrids have a lot of electrical noise. In my father-in-law's hybrid,
> I find the static goes away with the car turned off. As a test, how
> does it do off a 12v battery or another vehicle?
>
> KI6ZQY

A few days ago, hmpf, thinking about it, t'was before Xmas, as I was
trundling along in the trusty low tech Land Rover (about the only "high
tech" item currently in there, is the rig) while listening to a couple of
good old boys elsewhere in the UK having a chinwag on 40m, when the
background noise started to grow and grow, blotting out the QSO eventualy
maxing out at S9+++++ and then some (whatever full scale on a 706 is,
with the pre-amp off) just as an early model Prius passed me.  The
antenna at that time, was just a 3m length rod ("Tank Whip" in UK speak)
with an auto ATU at the bottom.

It was some minutes before I could hear the QSO again, by that time, the
Prius was well over 100m in front of me.

Nasty nasty non EMC compliant thing.   But not noticed that before, and
there are quite a few buzzing about the UK's roads, so that one's
probably had a back street hammer merchant doing something and not
putting back all the shielding, or something else related to EMI
suppression.

Even my works car, with all it's common rail computer controled direct
injection systems doesn't create that much noise (it does create some,
engine load and speed related) on HF.  (A 2009 Mazda 6, with the Ford
160HP turbo diesel engine.)

Take care, and Happy New Year.

73.

Dave G0WBX.