[aprssig] Why is my AvMap G6 flaky?

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 10:13:22 EST 2013

Man, I hate to say it, but IMHO the Avmap product line is plagued with
for-crap software, poor quality control, and superb customer supportŠ in
Italian.  Avmap is the ARRL of the GPS world for hams:  it's not great,
but it's all we've got.  I have a G5 that boots MOST of the time, but
after 4 years the battery is shot (to be expected), it gives me Fatal
Exception errors on startup about 15% of the time, sometimes it just
randomly freaks out while driving down the road, and more than once it's
routed me through Farmer Smith's potato field to get from one Interstate
to another.  If it's cold or there's high humidity, the screen will not
come on.  When I sent an email for support, the tech asked me "does yours
have a white/green wire leading from the main board to the display?"  I
responded that I wasn't really kosher with cracking open what should be a
consumer electronics device to tell them what color the wires were, and if
they couldn't tell the vintage of the device from the serial number I gave
them, I was concerned for their record keeping.  I got no response.
It sounds like yours is more broken than most, and probably needs to go
back as an RMA exchange