[aprssig] Correct DIGI path

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:04:03 EST 2013

Hmmm....

So, speaking as a software author, should my APRS program's configuration wizard ask a user configuring the program as a digipeater to enter their regional digi alias and preferred WIDEn-N hop count, and the wizard then automatically prefix the beacon text with the appropriate stuff?

Similarly, if (as a mobile application) my program should happen to receive such a beacon, should the local program automatically edit its digipeat path list to match the digi's proposal? What happens if the mobile client is half-way between two digis with different preferred paths and receives both? Should it keep flip-flopping its path? Or should the program just report an advisory message to the user with the suggested path change?

And, as Stephen points out, this still has no effect whatsoever on the transmit-only trackers.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO