[aprssig] TM-V7A on APRS Was: I give up

david vanhorn kc6ete at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 16:54:16 EST 2013

I used the V7A for APRS for a while, but got tired of fighting the issues.
My main trouble came from the fact that the radio gets its commands from
the mic as dtmf, and that the mic element is hot all the time.  If you
press a button on the mic, it puts DTMF on the mic line, and since you
aren't pressing transmit, those are interpreted as commands.

This is all fine, but if you have the broadcast radio on in the car, or
sometimes people's voices can work, it hears that as a command.  This means
that the radio swaps sides, putting your APRS on the voice repeater and
vice versa, or it changes memory channels.. It does these things silently,
so you sit there blasting the repeater with APRS and you have no idea till
you look at the radio.

Other than that and the stealth display,  it's a great rig.  I still have
one.