[aprssig] 1200 vs 9600 baud (was: Tracker3 9600 baud balloon tracker beta offer)

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Thu Dec 19 20:15:23 EST 2013

9600 Baud will work on both VHF and UHF.

Here in the Pacific NW we have an alternate APRS network in the Greater
Seattle and surrounding Area which operates on 144.35 at 9600 Baud along
with our normal network on 144.39 at 1200 Baud.  We also have a digi (BALDI
and VBALDI) that use internet magic to translate the info between systems.
Works great around here and allows better coverage for low level trackers to
make it into the system in the crowded Seattle Metropolitan Area.  This duel
system works best/easiest with the use of Kenwood APRS radios.

BTW we also have another alternate network on 440.80 at 9600 Baud.

As far as your question on which system would work best for you really
depends on the APRS infrastructure in your area.  If you are the only one
supporting an alternate network, your tracker will have to hit your digi.
In our area we have numerous digi's including mountain top digi's supporting
all three systems so you do get some decent coverage.....

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info

Of