[aprssig] are new symbols intended to be supported yet?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 4 09:06:13 EST 2013

Greetings.

This is a question aimed to Bob, but the rest can chime in.

I started implementing in my program the new symbols as defined in http://aprs.org/aprs11/symbols-new.txt , but I ran into an interesting glitch.

It seems that some of the users in my local area are using the red diamond symbol (\a) instead of the black diamond symbol (\&) for D-Star repeaters, using a 'D' overlay. This looks funny, because the new symbols specify 'Da' as the code for Dutch ARES (versus '\a' for US ARES). Example: KC2TXX B at 39 42.40N 075 07.36W

Presumably, this is an error on their part (they should be using the Gateway symbol with overlay, not the ARES symbol with overlay), but how pervasive is this error? Should I be supporting new symbols yet? Or are new symbols not approved yet, but just an idea to toss around until a consensus is reached?

Just curious.....

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC