[aprssig] are write-only APRS-IS clients valid?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 20:17:36 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Heikki Hannikainen <hessu at hes.iki.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists <
> hamlists at ametx.com> wrote:
>
> > Does the range filter override this filtering?
>
> The filters and the "heard list" are additive, so no, doesn't override.
>
> If the message's recipient is in the heard list for a given client,
> the message will be given that way, even if it doesn't match any
> filters set by that client.
>
> > Yes, I was assuming IGates would use a range filter specifically to be
> sure they would receive the messages for all stations in that area. You
> don’t want that, though, do you?
>
> Most igates don't send range filters (or any other filters), since
> they don't need to see all packets in the area. The "heard list" alone
> should nicely give them the necessary packets for messaging to work.
>
> Yes, the heard list should give the IGate the necessary packets, but what
about the ability of the IGate to determine if a station heard on RF is
also directly connected to the Internet/APRS-IS?  With no range filter (or
a very small range filter), wouldn't that create the possibility of gating
a message via RF addressed to a station heard on RF that is also connected
to the Internet?  Or would the IS server take care of this by not sending
the message to IGates that have gated RF beacons from the message recipient
- instead only send the message to the addressee?

Overall this is a great thread, and even though this topic has been
discussed before - most recently I believe on Lynn's APRSISCE/32 list - I
think it is very useful discussion in order to ensure that current and
future IGate software authors fully understand how the server side works.
(also it's really good info for IGate operators)

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT