[aprssig] are write-only APRS-IS clients valid?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Dec 2 15:10:12 EST 2013

On 12/2/2013 2:27 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
> b) I didn't know of any way to tell an APRS-IS server to not send any packets back to me (and, from what Pete is saying, that appears to be deliberately impossible).

You can always ignore the packets coming back from the APRS-IS server.
Basically that's what APRSISCE/32 does if the operator disables -IS to
RF gating.  Of course, the operator can also put APRSISCE/32 into
Receive-Only mode (provided for countries like the UK that only allow
attended transmit unless you have special licensing), or disable
transmit on the RF port(s) (similar to just disconnecting the PTT
between the TNC and radio).

IMHO, an IGate shouldn't just blindly pass all packets received from the
APRS-IS server to the local RF anyway.  The IGate operator should be in
control of the "recently" and "local" parameters which govern which (if
any) messages should be gated from -IS to RF.  The APRS-IS server, I
believe, defaults to 3 hours for recent and local just means that the
connected client has received a packet from the message-addressed station.

And if the IGate operator wants to use a filter that receives data just
for his/her own viewing, those packets should definitely not be gated to RF.

The APRS-IS server attempts to deliver packets on a filtered port that
the IGate might be interested in.  The server is not implying that such
packets must be gated to the RF by an IGate.

PS.  APRSISCE/32 defaults to a full bi-directional IGate whenever both
the APRS-IS and at least one RF port is configured.  The operator has to
change the defaults to force a Receive-Only IGate.