[aprssig] are write-only APRS-IS clients valid?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Dec 2 10:22:19 EST 2013

On Dec 2, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists <hamlists at ametx.com> wrote:

> You are correct, you don't understand how an APRS-IS server dupe elimination works or how a limited feed from a server works.  Bottom line:

So by going to the bottom line you are saying you aren’t going to explain it other than to say it happens? If this is real, and I’m even more skeptical now that you seem so reluctant to explain it, why won’t you explain it? You’ve been right when I’ve been wrong before, I value your insight, and I’m asking you to explain exactly how this happens. If you can’t or won’t explain it, do you think I should just take your word for it?

Dupe elimination means eliminating dups, not eliminating messages. So a packet originating with a one-way station get to an upstream server first. The upstream server still has a position report for the RF station, and it will still send downstream messages to that callsign because the RF station’s position falls within the IGate filter footprint. I just don’t see how it can block a message from getting to the IGate. So will you explain it in detail to me and the rest of the sig, or are we just to trust you, just because?

This isn’t an academic exercise. Every client program I’ve seen allows one-way gating, and furthermore it will always be possible by turning off TX Enable, not connecting a PTT line, or by using a scanner to feed a TNC. So please, I’m asking as nicely as I can, convince me this is a real problem.

Steve K4HG