[aprssig] are write-only APRS-IS clients valid?

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 23:59:40 EST 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:
>> This breaks two-way messaging. The APRS-IS assumes that the igate that
>> gated a position packet for a station can also relay a message to that
>> station.
>
> The APRS-IS assumes no such thing.

I didn't mean to imply that the server software is making routing
decisions. We rely on each igate software (each part of the APRS-IS)
to gate appropriate messages to RF. If an area is served by an igate
that doesn't do this, then it breaks two-way messaging for out-of-area
messages (including messages that originated on an altnet, which is
common in my area).

>> In RX-only igates, this assumption is false and the
>> message/ack may not reach its recipient.
>
> If an area is ONLY served by an rx-only IGate, then of course internet originated traffic will not appear on RF - both messages to the local RF stations as well as ACKs for their messages to internet stations. But that is in no way related to any assumption by the APRS-IS.

No need to break my paragraph apart. This was my original point.

Tom KD7LXL