[aprssig] APRS Runner Tracking

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Fri Aug 9 15:33:15 EDT 2013

I'm already halfway there with an Android app I've written to use with
the APRS TNC Digi Tracker:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger_android.html

This connects via Bluetooth to the APRS TNC Digi Tracker with Bluetooth
and is currently a one way connection to allow local APRS traffic to be
displayed on an Android phone or tablet and be igated to the APRS-IS.

The only reason that I didn't make it a two way Bluetooth connection was
the possibility that the Bluetooth connection could be hacked and if
"Cal" was selected then it would be possible to set the TNC and
transmitter to permanent transmit.

Looking at this again if I remove the "Cal" function fron the TNC
firmware and make it a hardware push button then this couldn't happen
and I could make the app connect via Bluetooth for messaging.

I could also add a function that's been in the Windows version of APRS
Messenger for a few years where the message is split into three text
boxes. They are usually set up by operators as checkpoint, runner number
and comment. We used it on the Ironman UK event two years ago with good
results.

Regards,

Chris, G4HYG

--