[aprssig] D710 New Firmware!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 28 16:58:41 EDT 2012

KC2ANT just noticed that there is new firmware for the D710:

Here are my summaries of these new features... (with opinionated
commentary)

1. Adds APRS Auto Reply Message Delay Time function... so that the stupid
auto-reply does not go out if a human is there to cancel it by touching
any knob on the radio... (To me, AUTO-REPLY is overused 99% of the time
and just adds wasted QRM to the channel)...

2. Adds characters "AA:" which means "Auto Answer" at the beginning of
auto-reply messages... to show who is using this most often useless QRM
generating function....

3. ... enables the TX beep sound when transmitting an auto-reply
message... so you know when you are transmitting this useless QRM...

4. Adds [EDIT] function on the expanded APRS Message List screen (in
function mode).  It enables editing of the destination callsign and
sentences in received or sent messages and resend. (great!  Makes it easy
to copy a message to someone else!)

5. ... Disables automatic quotation when using "REPLY" function.
(Hurah!!!  In one line messages, we don't have room for full quotes of the
incoming message in each reply)...

Bob, WB4aPR