[aprssig] question on aprs data routing

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Sep 24 14:22:24 EDT 2012

Mike KB3IXO wrote...

> I have a little bit of confusion about how APRS tracking data gets
> routed. I made an assumption that my station could directly receive
> APRS data from another station or from a self contained tracking
> device.

Yes, that is correct. If you have a radio and can decode the tones
from other stations, you are in business.

>  I could then use my APRS software to view the data. It was suggested
> to me that all of the data gets routed to a digipeater before coming
> to my station.

It doesn't matter if you hear a station direct or via a digi.
Send the data to something like UI-View and it will display
them just fine no matter how you heard them... direct, via
a digi or via TCPIP from a server.

> I'm thinking that both possibilities are true, but I would like to be
> sure. Could someone please clarify this?

Digis are only needed to extend the range of a beacon.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH