[aprssig] Automatic Voice RFelay System (AVRS) and ALLSTAR

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:03:18 EDT 2012

I think that would assume a higher degree of integration than currently
exists.  Since, by their nature, IRLP, EchoLink, and Allstar nodes have
internet connections, it should follow that they should be able to inject
their location/status into APRS-IS.
The more I think about it, the more do-able that sounds.  Unfortunately, I
don't know the source-code status of IRLP, and EchoLink is a dog's
breakfast unless you're running the Windows version, which I don't think
is open-sourced at all.  All-star is based on asterisk, so THAT'S doable.
I really, REALLY wish people could see a slightly bigger picture than "I
don't want people making any money off MY idea" when it comes to releasing
source code.  APRS would be 10 years farther along if we had the source to
WinAPRS, or UIView, enough people with coding experience drift in and out
that someone would have picked it up and run with it.

I think you're right in the sense that a proper message format should be
designed that allows for self-reporting of internet gateways.  Once the
message format is in place, it's just a matter of getting software
developers onboard with the reporting.  Having a central repository with
all of that info is still important, but the way it GETS that info would
be more integrated.

John Gorkos