[aprssig] HF noise measuring campaign reports via APRS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Fri Sep 14 15:09:37 EDT 2012

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, Chris Moulding wrote:

> At present I'm considering sending the data as a time stamped APRS status
> report. For example:
>
>> 141916z6.999,-100.1,-110.1,-120.1,10.100,-101.0,-111.0,-121.0
>
> In this example the first frequency is 6.999 MHz, the peak noise is -100.1
> dBm, the median is -110.1 dBm and the minimum is -120.1 dBm.

> Does anyone foresee a problem with this?

There's at least one small problem: there's no fixed identifier anywhere
which would allow detecting that this is a telemetry packet from your
software. It's just a status packet with some numbers there. A protocol ID
string in the beginning of the data would make it possible for software to
easily figure that hey, there might be noise level data in here.

> If anyone can think of a better way to do it I'm open to ideas.

If there's at most 5 frequencies monitored by a given station, you could
transmit it as standard APRS telemetry, and it would be graphed
automatically by all APRS receiving stations without any code changes in
the receiving end. Like this:

http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/OH7LZB-14

You can also transmit channel names for each graph.

   - Hessu