[aprssig] Earthquake data not quite right

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 15:36:19 EDT 2012

I was watching some of the
earthquake data coming in via the firenet feed yesterday.  However, some of
the "earthquakes" that are marked on the map do not exist in the USGS
list of earthquakes at all.  Not even close.

For example, at this moment there is an earthquake with the name 092339q12
which would be September 9 2339 UTC and a magnitude of 1.2.  No such
earthquake exists in the feed from USGS.  I've already searched and my
earthquake "ticker" never showed one either.  So where did it come from?

Same thing for 091517q15.  No matching earthquake in the database.

However, a set of them marked 081703q16, 082059q15, 082344q18 and 090255q20 **DO** show up in the quake list and on my ticker.

So what is inserting the bogus quakes into the feed?