[aprssig] Named stations without valid callsign

Sander Pool sander_pool at pobox.com
Sun Sep 9 03:16:45 EDT 2012

Hi,

I drove from San Jose, CA to Point Reyes today and had my D72 running
APRS. I was just reviewing the stations I received and noticed 'TOULON'
which was forwarded first by 'COREY' and last by 'WARD'. These and quite
a few other non-hamcall stations appear to be operational in that area.
All have an arrl.net email address associated with them on aprs.fi so
they appear to be maintained by a ham.

Is this use of non-callsign igate names allowed?

As an aside my little 5W HT with duck antenna clamped to the window did
quite well. 100+ miles reception range in some cases.

Thanks,

     Sander W1SOP