[aprssig] APRS Email (better way)?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 7 18:15:59 EDT 2012

All of your comments appear to be from the perspective of a clairvoyant
APRS internet user and are overlooking what others who are not so
clairvoyant see when they receive an APRS message via EMAIL.  All they see
is an email with about a half a line of sender's text with no other
context.  Sure, if they are APRS savvy, they know how it got there and
why.

But if they are APRS savy, they could have been messaged DIRECTLY via APRS
MESSAGE and would not need to get an email.  Please look at it from the
perspective of someone receiving these emails that has no clue about APRS
and then you would see what I am talking about.

That is, our APRS Email servers can do a LOT more about making the
received APRS email message make more sense to the general recepient.  My
wife for example would make no sense whatsoever out of this current way
the EMAIL servers handle it.  Look at these two examples:  First, how it
works now:

> Subject: KJ4ERJ-AP: Test via EMAIL-2
>
> From: KJ4ERJ-AP
> Test via EMAIL-2
>
> DO NOT REPLY
>
> Find KJ4ERJ-AP athttp://www.jfindu.net/find/KJ4ERJ-AP
> Track KJ4ERJ-AP athttp://www.jfindu.net/track/KJ4ERJ-AP
>
> Received from KJ4ERJ-AP via APRS by EMAIL-2
> More info athttp://www.aprs-is.net/email.aspx

To the average reader it is almost all gobbledygook and the actual TEXT is
buried with nothing to highlight it!  Whereas I am saying an APRS email
engine can easily do better like this:

> Subject: KJ4ERJ-AP: Test via EMAIL-2
>
> This is an APRS message received from a ham radio operator: KJ4ERJ-AP
> with the name of Lynn Deffenbaugh (according to the FCC data base)
> who has sent you the following one-line of TEXT:
>
> TEXT:  Test via EMAIL-2
>
> DO NOT REPLY,  This email is only a forwarding service.
> His transmitter was last located 14 miles SE of Denver at 2130z 7 Sept
2012.
> His signal was heard via Amateur Radio Station W3XYZ which is 12 miles
north of denver.

> See map of KJ4ERJ-AP athttp://www.jfindu.net/find/KJ4ERJ-AP
> See Track of KJ4ERJ-AP athttp://www.jfindu.net/track/KJ4ERJ-AP
> See map of the relay station W3XYZ http:...............
>
> This email was Received from KJ4ERJ-AP and processed via the APRS
EMAIL-2 server
> More info athttp://www.aprs-is.net/email.aspx

Something like that.  Remember, if you are sending to another APRS
operator, it is FAR FAR more efficient to just send the APRS message to
his callsign.  The EMAIL server is for sending to ANYONE and since
99.9999% of the rest of the people on the planet do not have a clue about
APRS, then I think the email engines can do a much better job of making
sense of the message.

If any of the data items are NOT KNOWN, then "-not-known-" can be
inserted, though the syntax remains.

Bob, WB4APR