[aprssig] Future for aprs

Charles Bland root at blandranch.net
Fri Sep 7 11:24:32 EDT 2012

" Pioneering? Pardon my cynicism, but what have we pioneered recently?
Cheap near-space travel for balloon payloads? "

I would think so. Perhaps we aren't creating as much in the way of
originality, but we are finding a way to make things do-able for a broader
range of people.....like sending up balloons to near space WITH telemetry,
photos, and even video.

Such activity can still fire imagination. It can still be a challenge to
someone to take a task and accomplish something formerly beyond their grasp
and do so with common resources. Such things can still inspire someone into
areas they haven't considered before and have great impact on life and
career. I don't mean to sound gratuitous or grandiose but I do believe this
to be true.

"I like appliances, they make it easy to do things. Like awk, sed, tr,
and other UN*X utilities, a process can be cobbled together using
programs and a flow of information."

This kind of thing can also be done in hardware: learn about the resources
around you and how to use them, work to acquire them, make a vision into a
reality.

It is still very consistent with our fine hobby.

Chuck Bland
NA6BR