[aprssig] Need Digi in Kentucky at Mamouth Cave Park

John Lay jlay at laysonline.com
Wed Oct 31 16:36:09 EDT 2012

Bob, I send you a direct message and included a digi operator in the area.
 I have an iGate in Bowling Green as you noticed, it does not hear packets
originating from the park. I would like to help, but not sure how. Please
keep me informed if this request starts getting traction.
John  KG4LVA

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> We need an APRS digi at the Mammoth Cave National Park.
>
> I was there this weekend and was unable to see anyone.  There are no hills
> in the area, just valleys in the Karst, so I could not even go park high up
> to get in(or out).  Finally, with a 20' fiberglass push-up mast and
> twin-lead J pole I was able to copy some traffic, so it would not take much
> to install a digi on a roof somewhere in the park.
>
> Left my rig beaconing even while parked and eventually met up with another
> APRS mobile visiting the  park.  But you cannot see us on APRS.FI because
> there is no network.
>
> As one of the major national parks, with millions of visitors and with its
> location near to I-65, we should try to get a digi there.  I'll contribute
> TNC if someone can do the local legwork.
>
> Here is the list of National Parks and APRS coverage:
> http://aprs.org/aprs-parks.html
>
> SEPARATE TOPIC:  I sure would have liked to have another APRS person with
> an
> APRS HT see how far we could communicate  underground.  Sure the GPS does
> not work, but with the very long and big tunnels in Mamouth, I'd like to
> explore propagation.  My guess is for the major tour routes, and with up to
> 7 hops, we could cover quite a distance.  Certainly not the 400+ total
> miles, of course, but the main routes..
>
> With the new Kenwood TH-D72 which can digipeat, it would be fun to have a
> few underground at the same time.
>
> Shucks!  Maybe we should set up a date and see how many APRS D72's we can
> get to visit the cave some weekend.  Call it a Minifest?
>
> Bob, WB4APR

John Lay
jlay at laysonline.com