[aprssig] high altitude gps and radios

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Oct 30 11:25:59 EDT 2012

I've been trying to get a straight answer from Unitraq on that.  All
they'll say is 'above 25k' but I get the impression they don't really
know.  That's probably a question for Prolific, the chipset vendor -
Unitraq is the integrator.  I've had very little success talking
directly to GPS chip vendors in the past, though.  They seem to like to
talk only to their big partners.

I can say from personal experience that I've sent one up to 113,000'
with no problem.  We did have reports of some losing lock easily, and I
sent a batch back to Unitraq and they corrected an unspecified firmware
bug.  We're now shipping units with that version, but I haven't had a
chance to fly one yet myself for testing at high altitude.

If someone has access to a GPS satellite simulator I'd be happy to
provide samples for testing!  Otherwise in the next month or two I'll
put together a throw-away payload and see what kind of altitude I can get.

Might have to invest in some protective gear and start buying hydrogen -
I've got maybe 400 ft^3 of helium on hand but it's going to get
expensive when I have to refill.

Scott
N1VG