[aprssig] high altitude gps and radios

Brad Burleson bradb667 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 01:37:36 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM,  <ak209 at lafn.org> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> I'm looking for a recommendation on what gps to buy for a high altitude
> balloon flight.  Many gps units only support up to 18km, which is 60k
> feet, it would be nice to find one that supports up to 50km (164k feet).

I can personally recommend pretty much any unit that SkyTraq sells.
Specifically the Venus634LPx, but I've also seen the SUP500R/F fly at
over 60k feet without issue.

The only issue with SkyTraq is that they have a minimum order of $200
(plus $30) shipping.

Also the ublox stuff seems to be highly recommended but I haven't got
my hands on one (yet).

> Also, what are the popular radios to use on 144.39 that are suitable
> for balloon flights?

I've used the Radiometrix HX1, as well as a Kenwood TH-21AT (might not
be easy to find these days).

> What US distributors sell the Radiometrix transmitter modules?

I buy from http://www.lemosint.com/, specifically the HX1.  Single
unit cost is $48 (shipping free for orders over $100) but if you buy
10 you get a much more reasonable $38.  I have a couple spare 144.390
units and would be willing to sell you one at cost + shipping, drop me
an email if you'd like.

> Which ones carry the uBlox based gps units?

I'd like to know as well.

> thanks!

I hope this helps a bit.

Regards,