[aprssig] APRS in caves! (mammoth map) & HF

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 08:58:47 EST 2012

Hmmm.... The old LORAN-C navigation system used 90 to 110 kHz. Too bad they shut it down a couple of years ago.

So, in theory, we could build some LF transmitters synchronized by GPS on the surface and carry a LORAN receiver underground. Considering how old the LORAN-C technology was, it shouldn't be hard to re-implement small versions of the transmitters with modern hardware. But it would be a lot of work, and the receivers are hard to find (I unloaded mine at a hamfest 13 years ago).

Just my $.02.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO