[aprssig] [APRS] APRS in caves!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Nov 16 16:55:09 EST 2012

> Just out of curiosity, how would the individual stations
> get their own position fix data inside the cave?

Texting is the goal.  But position reporting is important too.

> Are the cave maps good enough to get precision lat/lon for manual entry?

Two answers to that.

1) We hope to get a geomertrically correct cave map before we commence the
project.  Then APRS.FI and all other APRS systems as is can see us.

2) Failing that, then ANY map, even hand drawn with its own grid will do,
as long as EVERYONE is using the same map.  This is harder these days as
every APRS client has a different way of accompdating such maps.

So yes, our goal is to get a map that is geographically correct.  Then we
can manually enter our position based on where we think we are.

So far, I have not found such a map.

Bob, WB4APR

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
(Looking for an excuse for a roadtrip)