[aprssig] APRS and dstar

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue May 29 13:00:24 EDT 2012

On May 29, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> On May 29, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Andre wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 May 2012 17:04:07 +0200, Gregg Wonderly <gregg at wonderly.org> wrote:
>>

>>> We all need to open our minds to what "the internet" actually is.  It is a TCP/IP network, and that's all.  The fact that there are so many resources on the "public internet" just makes it more useful for so many purposes.  But, creating a TCP/IP network, again (not based on 1200 baud AX.25, but D-Star at 1.2Mb or more, instead) is what can provide a lot of flexibility to our services.
>>>
>> Dstar suporting 1.2Mb or more? that is new to me, everywhere I look I see DD with a max speed of 128 Kb
>> The only current options for speeds over 1 Mb that I can find at the moment is reused wifi and the slovanian psk ax25 systems.
>
> Sorry, Andre, I mistyped that, thinking about 1.2Ghz radios providing 128Kb of data.

High speed WiFi using part 15 devices which are supporting/using open source projects such as the WRT-64 work the the HSMM-DFW group has been involved in, is important to look at too.

There are many choices visible at http://www.ubnt.com, which can be used for "long haul" wifi networks in your community, to extend data and VOIP capabilities quite readily when you have line-of-sight paths.

Getting "tall tower" space, is going to be harder and harder to do.   Developing/deploying "smaller cell" systems helps to spread the opportunity for "multi-path", "redundant" networks as well.

Digital, data networks are what will be the future of all RF use in the future.  Consolidation of frequency use will continue to happen.  At some point, we will all have "one type" of RF interface in our cars and houses, because that allows frequency reuse and bandwidth optimization.  There will be multicast data solutions used for current broadcast RF products that we all use today.

IPV6 deployment will only amplify the speed of the movement to "data only" solutions.  Some of the digital data "brick wall", effects will be diminished as we see more and more frequency agile systems deployed as frequency consolidation occurs.

Broadcast radio stations already understand that their "RF" spectrum is under intense pressure.  They know that they have to start really selling their broadcasted "stream" to maintain and/or increase their listener base.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW