[aprssig] APRS and dstar (why)

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Mon May 28 14:30:36 EDT 2012

At 02:29 PM 5/27/2012, Amateur Radio WB8NUT wrote:
>It has GPS built-in, no programming required and every time I
>transmit, my position goes to the APRS network.

APRS network? No, it goes to the Internet-based DStar network and it
is eventually gated to the Internet-based APRS-IS server network.
Your position does not appear on the RF-based APRS network. You could
be sitting next to me sending your position with your DStar radio,
but it would never show up on my APRS radio unless some reverse IGate
in my area chose to start porting DStar position reports from the
APRS-IS to RF.

I am not anti-DStar because so many of its "cool features" are
Internet based. But, I am anti-DStar because many communities already
have perfectly workable APRS RF networks in place. I can see the
positions of local APRS users on my radio, but I can't see the
positions of local DStar users.

Bob...