[aprssig] APRS and dstar (why)

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Sun May 27 18:55:57 EDT 2012

The nice thing about D-Star is that it includes digital data, voip routing between you and any repeater in the world (echolink not needed) and some pretty large opportunities for focused digital data applications.

The problem with MOTOTRBO is that there currently are only handfuls of radios ready for amateur use.  The ones you can get, are freq agile outside of the amateur spectrum, and this creates problems, for me, in that it creates the opportunity for mistaken use of licensed spectrum, or abusive use, which can cause the communities to stop interacting with Amateur Radio because we create problems for them.

There needs to be large scale support for something digital to work.  D-Star has a commercial vendor as well as "parts" and private vendors that allow you to buy into D-Star from a number of perspectives, many, quite affordable.

D-Star is here, MOTOTRBO is a "wanna-be".  There is going to have to be a large amount of "equipment" discarded and new equipment purchased before all the people interested in digital voice and data, who are already on the D-Star train, will support it.

So, competition is here and now.  That can be good, but we will only progress if we choose to work together as a community to make something good come out of digital.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW