[aprssig] APRS and dstar

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sun May 27 13:14:38 EDT 2012

>> A lot of the things I loved in APRS and packet, are right there in dstar.
>> For those of you who like the messaging abilities, the gps tracking, the
>> ability to pass data, at 128k,

In general, DStar STILL only gives 900 bps for data in a 4800 channel.
 That's very lame.

> realy a pitty that there are zero alternatives for 128k DD, only the ID1
> 1200 mhz radio costing almost 1000 usd and a 23cm data repeater, it's a lot
> cheaper to get a pair of 1 gbit ax25 psk stations going.

Alternatives are almost here:

> A new digital radio was announced at Dayton -
> http://nwdigitalradio.com

"Dayton, OH – NW Digital Radio introduced the UDR56K-4 Universal
Digital Radio at the annual gathering of Amateur (Ham) Radio
enthusiasts. The radio, which has been designed to support digital
data and digital voice needs of both amateur radio emergency service
teams and digital radio experimenters The radio will support data
rates from 4800-56K+ bps with selectable modulation methods including
GMSK, FSK, and 4FSK. The UDR56K will operate in the 70cm band (420-450
mHz.) at up to 25 watts."

---

Also Scott of ArgentData is working on a low power high speed very
reasonably priced tracker/data radio based on the RFM12BP which will
give us 9k6 or better (or MUCH BETTER) as a simple USB device.

--

It's going to be a good year!

73
Bill - WA7NWP