[aprssig] APRS and dstar

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 27 09:00:01 EDT 2012

> Recently I have got involved in Dstar. Wow.
> I find it has most of what makes APRS and packet
> fun, and a ton more.
> With all the non icom dstar board kits out there,
> you can be up and playing with very low cost.

And it would only take the right graybeards with the motivation and the skills to tie DStar to APRS for global callsign-to-callsign voice calls.

My goal since 2001 was to tie one of the VOIP systems to APRS so that one could send  message to a callsign anywhere on the planet and the AVRS engine would set up the end-to-end link via Echolink, IRLP or ALLstar.  Just like a cellphone call.

That is one reason we added VOICE FREQUENCY to APRS back in 2004.  Even Kenwood and Yaesu have responded by adding the automatic QSY into the radios.  But we still do not have the full AVRS engine.  John Gorkos has written an excellent look-up module in AVRS.  His AVRS engine now responds to queries to tell you where the nearby Nodes are and their frequency, but it does not make the connections.

ASTAR NODE:
Then about 3 years ago, I realized that Dstar already has it,  End-to-end callsign voice connectivity.  Therefore the short cut for AVRS is to simply JOIN DSTAR.  The concept is simple.  Take one of those dstar kits, add it to a PC with full APRS connectivity on one side, and dstar on the other, and what we get is an ASTAR node.

To DSTAR users it looks just like a DSTAR node, but it looks like an ALLSTAR repeater on the APRS side.  It uses APRS signalling and display to setup and display the calls on the radio.  Giving the same displays and contrls as if the APRS radio was a Dstar user.  On the APRS side, an APRS user can send a connect-request message to the ASTAR node and get a VOICE connection to any DSTAR user in the world.

To me it is the best of all worlds.  DSTAR users and APRS Radio users are transparently able to do a callsign-to-callsign VOICE link anywhere in the world.

Please read about it http://aprs.org/avrs.html a few paragraphs down.

We just need a DSTAR graybeard, an ALLSTAR graybeard and an APRS graybeard to build the ASTAR node.

Bob, WB4APR