[aprssig] West Va APRS and Scout Jamboree

Joshua Smith juicewvu at gmail.com
Fri May 25 17:35:32 EDT 2012

On May 25, 2012, at 1:18 PM, "Bob Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> I notice there is not any APRS within 50 miles of the new Huge wilderness
> Scout Jamboree location in WQest Virginia.

The state of aprs coverage in the entire state of WV is pretty sparse, the problem isn't just limited to the area around the new boy scout camp.

> The closest digi is KC8SDN, but it's PHG data is not in the correct format,
> so it cannot be visualized.  He has an "R" on the end of the PHG that makes
> it not parseable.
>
> We have a year to get some connectivity into the "Summit" (the new name for
> theis new PERMANENT and SCOUT owned jamboree and camp location.
>
> Anyone gonna take the lead?

I now live a couple of hours north of this area, in Morgantown, WV, however I am originally from Beckley - very close to the scout camp and have strong ties to the area. I would be willing to assist anyone with their efforts to expand APRS coverage anywhere in the state of WV.

<snip>

I would even go so far as to donate equipment necessary if anyone could provide a good permanent home that would help to provide APRS coverage in the new river gorge area.

Perhaps it's time for some of us WV Hams to form a APRS group dedicated to increasing APRS  overage in the state. Any interested parties feel free to contact me.

--
Josh Smith
KD8HRX

Email/jabber: juicewvu at gmail.com