[aprssig] aprs.fi directly connected to Tier 2 hub servers

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed May 23 17:39:54 EDT 2012

Hessu OH7LZB wrote...

> http://blog.aprs.fi/2012/05/aprsfi-connected-directly-to-aprs2net.html
>
> If it's too long to read, just use rotate.aprs2.net instead of
> finland.aprs2.net. Thank you!

While the "rotate" server will work, it will connect  the user to
one of many APRS servers around the world. If someone isn't
going to connect to a particular server, my recommendation would
to choose the appropriate regional server rather than using the
"rotate" selection.  This will at least get them connected to one
a bit closer to home. Connecting to one that is nearby could add
a bit of reliability and reduce latency.

In UI-View, my recommendation is to choose one server close
to home and to select the appropriate regional server (as mentioned
on your blog) for the backup server with it set to auto-reconnect.

euro.aprs2.net   Europe and Africa
asia.aprs2.net   Asia
noam.aprs2.net North America
soam.aprs2.net South America