[aprssig] BALDY APRS Station

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:45:16 EDT 2012

> On May 22, 2012, at 3:33 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
>
> > APRSISCE/32 supports displayable Nicknames for just that purpose.  It
> will eventually be able to transmit them as shared TACTICAL callsigns.  The
> concept is that ANY station can be assigned ANY position and be displayed
> as such on the net controller's screen.  And when a new station takes over
> a tactical position, simply re-assign the nickname.  xastir supports the
> same concept.
> >
> > This is effectively separating the station from the information, but
> only for display.
> >
> Bob must be traveling back from Dayton. This sort of thing usually gets a
> vehement objection. Something like
>
> <WB4APR Emulation ON>
> "APRS is a real-time tactical system; the idea is that each user will see
> the same display on their screen. All important data such as tactical
> callsigns must be shared over the air, local callsign substitution is bad.
> If the same object shows at one location as "W9XYZ-4" and at another as
> "Med-1" it will lead to miscommunication in tactical situations and make
> APRS useless in emergency situations."
> <WB4APR Emulation OFF>
>
> Steve K4HG

I respectfully agree (my handheld is not likely to accept shared nicknames).

Changing the station ID away from the call sign also means that unified
messaging cannot be realized, IMHO.

And that is why I would like to watch the _tactical_ ID/location/status
information from a generated object, not the station. That is easy to do on
a fixed (infrastructure) system i.e. BALDY.

My problem is that my handheld won't transmit those moving objects
automatically, either ;)  So I am probably going to sigh and not worry
about it anymore.

Jim A.