[aprssig] legality of aprs on balloons under Part 97

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 20:51:40 EDT 2012

I see no issue here.

  You answered it for yourself by reading Part 97.  I'm very surprised that the regulatory Information Manager, Dan Henderson, N1ND, said that.  Part 97 is pretty clear that it is ok.  Otherwise any unmanned APRS tracked item and any unmanned home APRS station would also be illegal.
  However it appears telecommand is only legal for space stations...OOPS ...?
  I can't imagine what he could have been thinking. Part 97 is very clear that it is ok...not to mention that it is done very frequently as seen on this listserv.
  Call or email Dan directly.   He will return calls @ 1-860-594-0200

Part 97 Excerpts:
Definitions
97.3 (a)
  (10)  Broadcasting. Transmissions intended for reception by the general public, either direct or relayed.

[[ Note the word "intended".  This one area where intensions are important. ]]

  (45) Telecommand station. An amateur station that transmits communications to initiate, modify or terminate functions of a space station.
  (46) Telemetry. A one-way transmission of measurements at a distance from the measuring instrument.

97.111  (b) In addition to one-way transmissions specifically authorized elsewhere in this part, an amateur station may transmit the following types of one-way communications:
  (3) Telecommand;
  (7) Transmissions of telemetry.

Sent from my Knight-Kit Crystal Set.
--
 73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)