[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats (FINAL COMMENT)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Tue May 8 09:53:53 EDT 2012

* Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> [2012-05-08 15:35]:
> 1) in the USA, for standard offset repeaters then NO OFFSET IS NEEDED.

This implies a correct configuration of the radio _receiving_ the
packet, however. It needs to consider where in the world it is located,
what the default shift is for the according band and then to use this
guesstimate.

Therefore, Lynn suggested to *recommend* to add the repeater shift into
the comment even when it is the default value, at the cost of four
bytes, to allow both software radios and radios imported from other
parts of the world to operate as easily as local radios.

I second that suggestion, because at the end of the day, it makes
implementing APRS easier for both software and hardware vendors.

> > That's just way to much of a guessing game.
> No guessing about it. Pure facts on how the radios work, and the spec
> covers all situations, if people would just do it right.  90% of the
> OBJECTS on the air seem to ignore it and just randomly pick and choose
> the data in their comments and then complain when it does not work...
> When they are the problem and not everything else that they point to.

By requiring the repeater shift to be added in every case, the spec
could actually be made even simpler, allowing more people to properly
format their frequency objects! :)

Just my 2¢ on the issue.

73 de Georg DO1GL
--