[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 01:04:05 EDT 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> Yes.  It has always been that way.  Either include NO OFFSET INFORMATION
> and
> the radio will  use its standard offset (if it exists on that band and in
> that radio) or include the offset IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SPEC, either +xxx
> or -xxx in 10's of KHz.
>
> It just cannot be any simpler.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Nope, don't like this one at all.

You're saying that the radio will know that a frequency is a repeater pair
and assume what the split is. That's just way to much of a guessing game.
What if we have a problem where a repeater goes down, the repeater is
kaput, and we are operating SIMPLEX on the repeater output. According to
the spec, since no offset is explicitly defined, the radio is expected to
 do the offset thing, even though my radio is actually operating simplex on
the repeater output.

Vague, very very vague. The spec should assume NO offset if one isn't
offered, and than specify it exactly if it is needed to contact the station
via voice.

Again, my devalued 2 cents here.

WF5X