[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon May 7 17:34:09 EDT 2012

On 5/7/2012 5:18 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Explain again why a software client even cares about parsing the Freq spec.
> Does APRSISCE do radio control?  If so, what radios are you supporting?

Not yet, but hopefully within a month or two D700s will get QSY/Tune
capability compliments of APRSISCE/32.  And other non-APRS radios may
gain the same capability as time goes forward.

And even if I don't do rig control, I want to display USABLE information
to the user from a frequency object.  I'd rather show a REAL offset than
+/- just in case the end user has a non-standard-offset (read cheap)
radio.  S/He may be visiting the area with just a Baofung HT and not
know the local standards.

And if this is all about Local information, then I firmly believe ALL
information should be presented with no assumed knowledge on the part of
the observer, especially in light of 3 bytes.

> I am only aware of 3 radios that parse and act on Freq objects, the D72,
> D710 and FTM-350.  All other APRS systems and all older aradios simply
> display the data.  It is already in human readable form.

+/- by itself is NOT in humanly USABLE form.  It implies local knowledge
that a visitor to the area may NOT have.

And why not make something BETTER instead of just saying everything
before this ignored the spec and left the interpretation up to the
viewer when some programs want to make things more usable and less
cryptic (+060 doesn't tell me 600KHz, which is what APRSISCE/32's
interpreted frequency information IS displaying).

> Are we making a mountain here?

I'm not.  I'm only responding to your original unilateral statement of
"#2) best thing we can do is NOT TRANSMIT ANY OFFSETS IF THE OFFSET IS
STANDARD."   That may be "best" for owners of offset-aware radios being
operated in their home region, but certainly isn't "best" for the very
visitors that the local information initiative is targeting.

Again, with respect to the offset, I'm not asking for a change in the
spec, but a change in your proposed recommended usage of the spec.
Instead of pushing +/- that requires local knowledge and/or localized
versions of future APRS-capable radios, just recommend +/-nnn so that
the information is fully available in the objects.