[aprssig] How gps works

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Sun May 6 10:12:40 EDT 2012

On Sun, 06 May 2012 08:34:19 +0200, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com>
wrote:

> On 5/6/2012 1:49 AM, Andrew Rich wrote:
>> Does seeing "part" of the sky make a difference ?
>>
>> If I sit beside a buidling were I can only see 1/2 the sky does my
>> position skew ?
>>

> NO.  It's a very binary process.  Either the part of the sky you can see
> has enough satellites in view for a fix.  Or, if there are not enough
> receivable, the unit "spins it's wheels" endlessly in the acquisition
> phase with no fix.
>
> Typically as the pattern of satellites visible from your location
> changes, and the number visible fluctuates above and below the magic
> minimum, the unit will keep shifting between a 4-satellite 3-D fix
> (altitude as well as lat/long), a 3-satellite 2-D fix (no altitude info)
> and no fix at all.
>
> When you get into the "urban canyons" of high-rise big city downtown
> areas, GPS units frequently "go nuts" due to signals being blocked, and
> by apparent time delays for given satellites abruptly changing due to
> multipath reflections off glass-faced buildings.
>
> The same thing happens frequently on winding mountain roads, especially
> deep in canyons.   The receiver is constantly acquiring satellites only
> to lose them again when you go around a curve, forcing the receiver to
> search for and acquire other satellites, as the visible part of the sky
> keeps changing.

It's not just visabilety of the sky that can make gps go nuts, I have
worked as an assistant surveyer for a while in Rotterdam and everytime we
where in range of the airport we would get big deviation errors, sometimes
more then half a meter and this was with a DGPS system and at least 8
satellites locked, waiting a few minutes would bring the deviation back to
a few CM making at acceptable again for surveying pipes.
We never figured out what it was but we assumed it was the airport radar.

--
73 Andre PE1RDW