[aprssig] Detailed review of APRS-capable HTs

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue May 1 10:22:48 EDT 2012

On 05/01/2012 08:32 AM, Dave B wrote:
> Nice write up.
>
> I'm surprised you didn't cover the venerable TH-D7 as they are still
> about, do a fairly good job, and everyone (in APRS anyway) knows of them.
> If just as a baseline so as to compare the newer kit too.
>
> I'm sure someone over there will have one for you to play with.

That was for the simple reason that I have never had the chance to use a
TH-D7.  I actually considered it instead of the VX-8GR for my recent
project, but I was unable to find one used at a competitive price, and
the lack of a built-in GPS was also an issue.

There are a lot of people around here that have mobile APRS setups, but
very few that have APRS-capable HTs.  (This may be due to the low
population density in Kansas, and thus also the low digipeater density.)

-- John
KR0L