[aprssig] newbee with D72 and AVMAP G5

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 1 09:10:44 EDT 2012

Senior moment...  I went to do our balloon track and planned to hand out
D72's and AVMAP G5's to the other chase vehicles.  I am very familiar with
both.  Or so I thought.  But for the life of me, I could not get them to
communicate with each other.

Come to think about it, I have always used the AVMAPS with my D710's and
always used my D72 stand-alone.  So when I set everything up, as I thought,
I could not get any waypoints from the radio to the GPS...  my focus was on
the waypoints since the chase vehicles had to see where the balloon was.

I set the AVMAP GPS interface to Kenwood and 9600.  I set the D72 COMPORT to
INPUT OFF and OUTPUT as WAYPOINT and 9600 baud.

Then I set the WAYPOINT to Kenwood and/or NMEA and OUTPUT to ALL and length
to 9.

No combinations of the above worked. Tried both at 4800 also. Notice I never
tried enabling the COMPORT INPUT to GPS, since the D72 has its own GPS.
Could that have been it?

Bob, WB4APR