[aprssig] [amsat-bb] Party Balloon Long Duration Mission (???!)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Mar 29 23:24:59 EDT 2012

It went over my horizon (from Annapolis) at about 0300z just about perfectly
as predicted for aa 15,000' altitude and 180 miles range.  Caught me by
surprise, as I was working on plots and so did not try to decode the latest
CW until I noticed I didn't hear it anymore.  I think m y last TEMPERATURE
might have been -25C which means it is higher than expected, -OR- the
temperature is colder than the "standard Atmosphere model".

I really don't know this balloon stuff well.  SO we are flying by the seat
of our pants.

I got 0100z winds aloft for 5k, 10k and 18k feet and used that to back out
an estimated track.  Then DR'd that along.  My best guesses are posted on
the APRS-IS as objects.  And then I updated an object "W3ADO-11" balloon at
my best guess at that 0300z time at a LAT of 37.6N and 73.7W headed 120 at
60 MPH.

I hope it turns more easterly by morning.

Everywone listen early as sun rises and maybe we will get some skip?

Update soon on http://aprs.org/balloons.html

Bob, WB4aPR