[aprssig] Transatlantic HF monitoring...

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 16:11:21 EDT 2012

Houston, we have a problem...

Here's updated info from John, N2XE.  I asked for the 40 meter times and if they are GPS synched.
Steve, K9DCI

. . . . . . .

> From: John Ceccherelli
> Date: Sunday, March 25, 2012, 2:56 PM
> We haven't heard from 40 Meters since 3AM saturday morning and the assumption is that it is dead.  30 meters is supposed to be GPS synced at 10, 30 and 50 minutes after the hour.  But we suspect there is a software glitch and it can come at 00, 20 and 40 after the hour so... the best strategy is to listen for 30 or 40 minutes I suppose.  Bill Brown, WB8ELK has been
> listening on a receiver in Nova Scotia and says it's currently 00, 20 and 40 but I'm sure it's only temporary.

- - -
MT is coming from the ground station. It is a command to the air vehicle

Its a rockmite running 1 watt! [I believe he means the air Vehicle]

Thanks for the note, we really need an updated status for the balloon which is now somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.  The website is www.projectbluehorizon.com and you can get a bunch of info there as well as report and telemetry you recieve.  The 30 meter beacon transimits at 10, 30 and 50 minutes after the hour on 10.1465 +/- 500 Hz depending on the payload temperature.  If you could copy the beacon we would be eternally greatful since we are not getting it here in New York.  IF you could spread the word, even better!

Yes the telemetry callsign is N2XE

The format is
Lat
Long
Altitude in meters (divided by 100)
Battery voltage (Divide by 10)

>From John C. N2XE himself.  We ... from his BlackBerry, that is. Typos and all.

All I heard last night on 30 M was "N2XE MT MT" and "N2XE ME MT" at random, but frequent intervals.