[aprssig] Bug or feature: ambiguity circles that expand with dead-reckoning distance?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Mar 21 15:38:36 EDT 2012

My personal opinion is that position ambiguity is relative to the
reported position.  I put the station symbol there with an ambiguity
circle around it.  This is factual display of the received information.

Dead Reckoning is a local observer assistance tool that is not directly
driven by any particular received information other than a (possibly
delayed) position packet that includes a speed and heading.  The station
never said it was anywhere but where the position says, so I leave the
primary symbol at that position and move a line-connected 50%
transparent copy of the symbol out from the received position.  This is
a time-based extrapolation of received information.

So, in APRSISCE/32, ambiguity applies to the received position which is
continuously displayed and the dead-reckoning extrapolated position
shows a reduced opacity copy of the station because nothing really said
the station was really anywhere near that point.

PS.  Smartbeaconing's corner pegging has some interesting side effects
on dead reckoning, especially when large turn angles are involved.  I've
noticed that the Tracker2-family devices beacon about 1/2 way around a
90 degree turn resulting in the DR object going off the corner-pegged
position in the wrong direction.  It's not until the next beacon
(assuming it is a relatively straight-line and time-triggered beacon)
that the DR comes back inline with the actual station route.  This
behavior is really what drove me to keep the received beacon position
for the station and move a separate DR object away from that anchor.