[aprssig] radio aprs vs internet aprs

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Mar 20 10:20:07 EDT 2012

On 3/20/2012 10:13 AM, Tom Hayward wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:23, Mike Goldweber<mike at mikegoldweber.name>  wrote:
>> The next day I ran into the guy who organized and ran the communications.
>> He told me that he got the message when he linked his system to the
>> internet, but during the race he comm's trailer was not linked to the
>> internet, which is why he did not receive my message immediately.
> This statement is misleading. RF APRS and APRS-IS are both realtime
> networks, and so data must be received immediately or not at all. The
> only way he could have seen your message a day later is by referencing
> an archived history of APRS-IS data (e.g., aprs.fi, findu, or his
> personal log).

It's always possible that the message was sent to an APRS-IS-based -SSID
of the organizer and not the -SSID that was in use in the comm trailer
over RF.  And the "linked ... to the internet" just means that he turned
on the monitor or walked into the other room or remotely accessed the
-IS-based station.  "Received" may not mean actually received, but more
like "noticed".