[aprssig] radio aprs vs internet aprs

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Mar 20 10:12:04 EDT 2012

On 3/20/2012 9:56 AM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> 5)    This may seem obvious, but many newcomers unwittingly assume the
> APRS network has the same kind of ubiquitous coverage as cellular
> networks.  It DOESN'T!     The APRS network has nowhere near the
> number of base station igate sites as cellular network have cell
> sites.  The APRS RF network has large coverage holes in many parts of
> the country.     If the RF station being addressed has NOT been heard
> recently, or is not within range of an igate station,  then messaging
> attempts Internet-to-RF will fail.

For a quick idea of the national coverage and activity of APRS, check
out http://tinyurl.com/APRSAct24 (24 hours/plot) and
http://tinyurl.com/APRSAct00 (5-7 day merge).  There's various areas and
views in the different plots with the most recent ones normally at the
bottom of the list.

> 6)   The APRS Internet System can function, in a manner similar to
> EchoLink or IRLP, as a kind of "wormhole" connecting two radio users
> too far apart to communicate directly with each other by radio-only.
> In this case, the limitations on what will pass Internet-to-Rf will
> apply to BOTH parties involved.   I.e. BOTH parties need to be within
> the local coverage area of igate stations.

And the IGates at both ends need to be transmit-enabled, not
receive-only, IGates.