[aprssig] radio aprs vs internet aprs

Eric Lorenz K9LGE k9lge at emlorenz.com
Tue Mar 20 09:35:50 EDT 2012

Hi Mike,

No problem...when you use APRSDroid, you are connected to what is called
APRS-IS. Is it basically as you describe ...a set of APRS nodes connected
over the internet. By default, APRS-IS is separate from the RF side of
APRS. There are stations that may choose to gate -IS traffic over to local
RF (usually a limited stream- when users are passing within a certain
radius of a station, so locals can see all traffic). Usually it is more the
other way around...where the RF side is getting gated to IS. You will find
here a great...'diversity' of opinion on the merits of mixing RF and IS
APRS traffic. Personally, under controlled guidelines, I think it is
beneficial to do so. But I  am only one opinion here. :-). So that is why
you don't by default see your traffic come up on local RF...you only will
if there is someone reverse-gating your traffic to RF.

Eric K9LGE