[aprssig] What stations should respond to APRS queries?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 12:56:24 EST 2012

Funny. A ?APRSD query on your station didn't work for me, and I can do so to one of Lynn's APRSISCE servers. But I am seeing your station acknowledge my message (because I put a sequence number in the query message). Very odd. I tried doing a ?APRSP on your station as well, and I started seeing MicE position messages from you (but is that just a feature of the APRS-IS backbone's default filtering?). ?APRSS doesn't work on you either.

I also tried starting up my own copy of Xastir (v1.9.8) with only an Internet connection and sending queries from it to my own software; I don't see the incoming queries from the Xastir instance (although Xastir is seeing incoming station traffic from APRS-IS).

So, I'll have to get a better RF connection and try polling some of the RF-local Xastir stations and see what happens.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO