[aprssig] What stations should respond to APRS queries?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 13:24:35 EST 2012

Greetings, all.

I've been testing the functionality of my new APRS client, YAAC, and was curious about the conventional vs. specification-required behavior of APRS clients in general when they receive a directed query (as defined in the spec). For example, the ?APRSP query to immediately get the current position of another station, or ?APRSD to get a list of stations that the queried station can directly hear.

Which of these queries are currently supported by other clients, and can the clients choose to selectively refuse to answer?

Can the clients refuse to answer an IGated query?

Can the clients otherwise blacklist remote stations (generically or station-specifically) from getting answers?

I'm curious, because I don't seem to be able to get answers from any clients (other than other instances of my own) from an IGate-only connected client.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC (Yet Another APRS Client)
http://www.findtheater.com/ka2ddo/YAAC.html